April 07, 2004

From the papers...11
I'm sure you all have seen on posters, Zoe Tay telling you to catch the NKF Charity Show on the two coming Sundays, and Sharon Au telling you that TV's most touching and inspiring show is on Channel 8.

And I'm sure we will watch if our next best thing to do that day is to watch toads mate. Then again, I think I'd opt to do the latter. Procreation is always more exciting.

NKF has $198m in reserves, and it was reported that this amount of reserves can last the organization for 3 years.

I have barely $2K in reserves and I estimate that it can last me for 1 year (Shit... I need to have more sources of income soon), if I stay away from Orchard Road as much as possible, and feign ignorance about my friends' birthdays. Look, why don't I perform a nature-defying stunt like... erm, oral sex (hey... illegal in singapore lahhhhh) and you all donate to me instead?

Okay. I'm not being fair, am I? The donations go to helping the patients of NKF. Have a heart.

If you believe by calling the 1900-suckers, you will go straight to heaven after you beeeeeeeeeppp, my suggestion is to watch toads mate instead.

NKF is abusing the fact that most of us have a heart (figuratively, please) and most of us will have this internal struggle whether to pick up the phone and call 1900-suckers as and when they show us heart-wrenching snapshots of their patients' struggle and determination to live. And NKF is accumulating our annual acts of compassion such that they have so much in reserves and they have such beautiful premises.

A friend once remarked that she went for an interview with NKF and the staff there were as nice as Faye Wong is to the paparazzi. They barely were the kinda people who should work in such an instituition. Another friend said she once read that the CEO (or whoever that's one of the top management) flies first class, expense on the organisation, and felt that he is not under any obligation to explain his need for luxurious travelling.

I'm not saying that we should all boycott NKF. They still do their bit for their patients. Just that if you really wanna contribute to a worthy cause, go down to the level of volunteering and helping the patients, case by case. I think what the patients need is direct cash handouts, quality equipment and supportive presense, not 5-star premises, and a $198m accumulated reserves.

So, this 2 coming Sundays, watch the show if you must. But, think twice before you dial 1900-suckers.

Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 20:59